Gribloch House, near Kippen in Stirlingshire is one of a trio of private residences in Scotland designed by Basil Spence in the years before the Second World War, while he was still with the Edinburgh practice, Rowand Anderson, Paul & Partners. The house was commissioned by John Colville, a member of the Colville steel-making dynasty. It is named after the neighbouring moorland which had been a favourite picnicking spot of the client. The site was specifically chosen for the panoramic views it offers of the surrounding Grampians and Fintry Hills and this very much dictated the plan of the building.
Spence began his designs in 1937 although his initial plan for the house was abandoned. The scheme that was eventually built following consultation with the New York architect Perry Duncan is an inverted F-plan with projecting wings to the south and a service wing on the east. Distinguishing features of the house include the bow-fronted living room and the convex full-height stair window that lights the oval-shaped hall inside. A low pitched rather than a flat roof was chosen as it was more suitable for the Scottish climate. Other points of interest are the delicate decorative ironwork and an outdoor swimming pool to the south of the house, somewhat unusual for Scotland. The designer John Hill was employed to work on the interior which has been described as having an air of ‘Hollywood’ to it.